Friday, June 5, 2009

Day 15 Piccolo Spoleto Outdoor Art Exhibit


Watercolor Demonstration - Peaches - In Progress



Last Demonstration for 2009

Here I am, trying to talk, teach and paint at the same time - working on the peaches above. A good group showed up, ready to ask questions. I chose to concentrate on showing how I normally block in shadow shapes to give me a road map. The beauty of watercolor is the the white of the paper shining through if you work primarily with transparent colors. I love the dialogue between artist, water and color. And yes, this is painting a watercolor vertically, which is not the norm. Because watercolor responds to gravity, most watercolors are painted flat. Several years ago, when I first began painting at worship services, I had to learn to paint vertically. Not only was that a challenge for me, I believe it has led me to a better understanding and sensitivity in working with the medium.

Throughout the demonstration, we were all treated to the music of the minstral:

Jesse Cockcroft and his Accordian

Jesse, with his accordian, transports most people to Paris in a moment. For me, his accordian immediately takes me Rome where I'm dining al fresco around the corner from the Spanish Steps. There's just something special about an accordian - thank you, Jesse!

No comments: