Monday, May 31, 2010

Piccolo Spoleto Outdoor Art Show - Sunday, May 30, 2010

MORE WINNERS!
SECOND PLACE AWARD
"Mystery" by J. Victor

and

THIRD PLACE
"Perfect Speed #2 by John Michiels
Only 3 days into the show, and we still have energy!  
Well, maybe not everybody....

 A childhood friend from Edisto summers, Fran Pund Tuttle, drove up from Beaufort with her friend, Beth Brewer.  Fran and I connected on Facebook and it was fun to reconnect today in person after years and memories I hadn't thought of probably since those summers just came flooding back - it was great to see her and catch up a little and make plans to keep in touch. Seeing old friends and meeting new ones are a big part of what I enjoy about the Spoleto season!
Fran Pund Tuttle and Beth Brewer
 Fran and Mimi
Good news! People walking through the park with paintings this weekend - a great visual because it means paintings are being purchased - it appears to me that people are more deliberate about their art purchases this year - a wise choice, especially in this economy. I believe people buy art for different reasons but I personally enjoy watching people discuss and purchase artwork that is meaningful to them, for reasons that go beyond color, line, etc.  There's an indefinable something, a connection, an engagement that occurs between the artwork and the viewer that transcends the visual.  A few years ago I was at a conference in Austin, Texas with a featured art exhibition, and as I viewed the paintings, I was immediately drawn to one with collage and mixed media. And I kept coming back to it - it went with nothing in my house, but I found that the painting was more important to me than whether it "fit" into my "decor" (if you define "decor" as "early Southern clutter" or "I'm an artist and messy-deal with it").  I bought it and had it shipped home, and it continues to excite me, inspire me, challenge me and remind me to think "outside the box".  Even now, just writing about it makes me smile!


No comments: