Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Blogging Paris - Tuesday 5/11/10

Headed back to Notre Dame de Paris with the camera and a fully charged battery.  It excites me that a church built in the 12th century incorporates modern art in the sanctuary, recognizing the excellence and validity of different creative expression to the glory of God. Notre Dame has also incorporated paintings, sculpture and altars from churches in France that were damaged or destroyed.  For me, many times the less realistic a devotional object is, the more powerful - the other evening when I saw this crucifix above a side altar, there was an immediate response - an interaction.  Notre Dame is filled with strong and powerful works of art, but this is the one that reached out to surprise me and pull me in.
Crucifixion - Notre Dame de Paris

When I got of the church, it was pouring rain, but I soldiered on, determined to visit the Musee d'Orsay.  Obviously the crowds were also thinking the same.  I would not have wanted to be in line to get a ticket.  As it was, I still had to wait in another line - but finally got in and then had to give up my bags, my umbrella.  The D'Osay is strict about what is allowed inside.  What a pleasure, however, to see the originals of paintings that are like old friends because I'm so familiar with the images.  Degas, Van Gogh, Manet, Monet, Cassatt, Gaugan just to name a few. My favorites (of the day) were Van Gogh's self-portrait and Monet's series of the facade of Rouen Cathedral.



Still soldiering on in the (very cold) pouring rain, I ran into the legendary bookstore on the left bank of Paris, Shakespeare and Company, where the books are in English.  I did not go in - I have no more room left in my luggage...but I could NOT go by without stopping into Sennelier, the famous French art store that opened in 1887 and is still owned by a Sennelier.

Sennelier - Quai Voterre - Art Heaven
C'est la vie!



No comments: