Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Blogging Paris - 5/12/10

 The Hat - Le Chapeau - Le Tresor!

For Barbara and all the others waiting for a glimpse of my vintage Parisien hat from the Flea Market in Paris - I did wear it Sunday to church and afterwards to the Louvre, South Carolina get ready, here I come...

The Accordian Serenade

Today was Montmartre (Mount of Martrys).  And it is a steep hill - lots of climbing, but definitely lively and picturesque - much fun - of course I knew it would be special when I got on the Metro this morning and the accordian player jumped on, too...The best deal in town was the "petite train de Montmartre" for 6 euros - a little bit of history along with recorded music like "La Vie en Rose" by Edith Piaf, the much loved "little sparrow" - probably the most famous 20th century French singer.

Le Petite Train de Montmartre


We passed by lots of places I'd heard or read about - also saw where Theo and Vincent van Gogh stayed but the train was moving too fast for me to get a good picture.

Au Lapin Agile - frequented by famous Artists now dead

The Moulin Rouge!
Le Sacre-Coeur from Butte MontMartre (the bottom of the hill)
Le Sacre-Coeur at the top of the hill

Fabulous sanctuary - dedicated to the sacred heart of Jesus and a place of perpetual prayer, so silence and no cameras requested.  When I walked in, the nuns were singing matins (or something like that) - whatever - it was lovely.

This is the highest point in the city of Paris, and the views are breathtaking from the steps of Le Sacre-Coeur.

Overlooking Paris from Le Sacre-Coeur

Another view of Paris from Le Sacre-Coeur.
The tower is Le Tour Montparnasse and is a block from my hotel.
Finally, I went to visit the very, very famous Pere Lachaise cemetery near Montmartre, where many of the famous dead are buried, 

including Chopin, Oscar Wilde, Edith Piaf, Ingres, Degas, Corot, Max Ernst, Balzac, Marcel Proust, Sarah Bernhardt, Maria Callas, Modigliani, Moliere, Alice B. Toklas, Gertrude Stein and can you believe it - Jim Morrison of the Doors...

Not being one to hang around graveyards, I did not stay very long - and it's huge, but I was glad to find some signs of life among the tombs...

Les Chats Dans Le Cimetiere du Pere Lachaise

No comments: